Sunday, November 15, 2009

This is a MANS breakfast...

I have this goal to become a domestic goddess/master chef :) I love cooking for my honey and for others, it's been so much fun finding and trying new recipes and learning new things. But I have this nasty little habit, I'm a food blog junkie. I have a substantial list of food blogs I check daily, and if i see a recipe I want to try, I print it off, which has led me to a 6 inch high stack of untried recipes. Its like a disease, I know, and Mckay thinks Im nuts. But sometimes I hit the jackpot and find some really yummy things. So I'm in the process of weeding through all these recipes, and depending on Mckays reaction they either get tossed or go in the black binder. To get put in the black binder means yep that recipe's a keeper and has a place in our Rytting Family Favorites :)

Im rereading this post and realizing that I sound pretty lame, but whatever. I made this recipe Saturday morning. It was cold, and Mckay had been helping some family move all morning, so this recipe came together, inspired by one of those many food blogs and it made us both happy campers. I didnt really measure anything so these are just estimates, but this recipe is pretty basic and hard to mess up

Breakfast Skillets
-inspired by fortheloveofcooking-recipes.blogspot.com

5 red potatoes cut into bite size pieces
1/2 C. Sausage cooked and crumbled- this is a guess
1/4 C green peppers diced
1/8-1/4 C. diced onion
eggs
garlic powder, salt, pepper, paprika, - sprinkle to taste

Boil the potatoes for about 10 minutes, till they're somewhat tender. Cook sausage in a skillet and drain on a paper plate. In the same skillet cook the potatoes on about medium heat, adding a little butter or olive oil. Season the potatoes with desired seasonings. After about 10 minutes the potatoes will start to get crispy, add the peppers and onions. Cook for another 10 minutes, reducing the heat if things start to burn. In a small skillet crack however many eggs you want. we had sunny side up by cracking the egg into the skillet, melting an icecube for a second and then pulling it out and putting the lid over. This steams the top of the egg and cooks it so you dont have to flip it. Srinkle egg with salt and pepper. Spoon some of the potatoes into a bowl, and slide the egg on top.

-- the thing I love about this recipe is you can add or take away whatever you want. You could add in any vegetables you want or have it with scrambled eggs instead, meat or not meat. This was so good and kept us full forever!

Sorry for those who might think these recipes are boring....but this is what happens when there's not much else to blog about :)

No comments:

Post a Comment