Monday, July 11, 2011

book club.

mckay thinks book clubs are lame. I think they’re awesome. so imagine my delight when for an fhe last month mckay suggested the fun idea of reading one book together each month. we’ve read books together in the past, basically me reading the hunger games trilogy aloud (cool right?). but our trip last month really got us back into reading so we thought we’d keep it up.

our book for June: born to run by Christopher McDougall

btr 

This book was so interesting to read, we talked about it for days. in fact we’re still talking about it. The book talks about the Tarahumara tribe in Northern Mexico, their lifestyle and their  barefoot racing traditions. It also talks about ultra racing, races that take place over 50-100+ miles , where runners race non stop for hours and hours. Some of the stories in the book were so incredible (and crazy) it was almost hard to believe. It also talks about our bodies and how they were built to run.

We are not runners by any means but this book has really influenced us. More than anything we realized how capable our bodies are and the importance of staying active. The book taught me that I have been running wrong, and after changing my shoes and my stride, I have already noticed a difference in my running (and by running I mean slow jogging :) and more importantly, how good I feel after. We cant stop recommending this book to people.

our book for July: Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver

1 comment: